You are here

Social Security

Social Security is deducted at an established Federal Government rate. The College shares the cost of this benefit by matching contributions for all employees. (This rate is subject to change each January and those changes may be obtained from the Human Resources Office.)

Social Security benefits are paid for death, total disability, and retirement, provided you have been covered by Social Security for a period of time sufficient for eligibility. These benefits are paid regardless of any other insurance coverage you may have. Claims for benefits should be filed with the local Social Security office.

It is a good idea to check on the amount in your account at least every four years, because some errors cannot be corrected after four years. This can be done by writing to the Social Security Administration, and asking for a statement. Forms to request such a statement are available at

Revised March 13, 2007.
In effect April 26, 2004.
Vice President for Finance and Business Affairs.