In 1950, the office of Faculty Marshal was first included among the Officers of the Faculty. Prior to this time, a faculty committee, Public Functions, must have held the responsibilities subsequently given to the Faculty Marshals. Professor John Henry Davis became chair of that committee in 1944 (having been a committee member prior to this time) and apparently served until the change in 1950. In 1950, both Professor Davis and Professor Joe Embry (a member of the committee) became the first Faculty Marshals, and the committee was apparently disbanded. The following members of the Faculty have served as Faculty Marshals in the intervening fifty-one years.
- John Henry Davis (1950-1969)
- Joe Embry (1950-1962)
- Jack Russell (1957-1978)
- Charles Biggers (1962-1964)
- Emmett Anderson (1964-1982)
- Robert Amy (1968-1985)
- David Jeter (1978-present)
- Allan Barnhardt (1982-1998)
- Donald Tucker (1985-1998)
- Diane Clark (1994-2006)
- Robert Entzminger (1998-2001)
- Bette Ackerman (1999-2001)
- Anita Davis (2001-present)
- Mark Muesse (2001-present)
- Susan Kus (2006-present)
Appointment of New Faculty Marshals. At the present time, there are four Faculty Marshals. When a position comes open among the Faculty Marshals, the remaining Marshals make a recommendation to the Vice President for Academic Affairs for a replacement. The Vice President for Academic Affairs appoints any new Marshals.
Eligibility. Eligibility for appointment obtains to any tenured or tenure-track member of the faculty. Matters of gender parity and divisional representation are appropriate considerations in selecting Marshals. Length of distinguished service to the College and leadership in the work of the Faculty should also be considered.
Term of Service. The term of service is undefined since the Marshals serve at the pleasure of the Vice President for Academic Affairs or until retirement.
- Serve on the Commencement Committee.
- Organize and lead the processions at the Opening Convocation, the Awards Convocation, Baccalaureate, Commencement, and any other formal academic occasions.
- Supervise the arrangement of both the platform seating and the student seating sections at Baccalaureate and Commencement.
- Usher candidates onto the platform for the conferring of degrees at Commencement.
- Hood graduates prior to their leaving the platform at Commencement.
- Be of assistance to the President and others in the presentation of awards at Commencement.
Printed from: https://handbook.rhodes.edu/college-handbook/faculty-policies/faculty-marshals