Published on Rhodes College: Employee Handbook (

Worker's Compensation

Eligible Employees

If you are a regular full-time, regular part-time, introductory, or temporary employee and lose time because of an accident or illness arising out of and in the course of employment, you might be entitled to Workers′ Compensation benefits. Participation in voluntary recreational activities is not considered to be within the course and scope of employment.

Benefits Provided

If entitlement to workers’ compensation benefits is established, the amount of compensation is computed on a percentage (66 2/3%) of the average weekly wage depending upon the disability (i.e. Temporary Total Disability, Temporary Partial Disability, Permanent Partial Disability, etc.).

No cash benefits will be paid by the insurance company for the first seven calendar days, excluding the day of injury, unless the disability extends to 14 calendar days. Regular employees will be allowed to use accrued sick leave and/or vacation leave to compensate them for the first 8 working days of disability. When an employee is off work for 14 calendar days or more because of the disability, the insurance company will pay the employee for the first 7 calendar days. This payment is known as a “Wage Replacement Benefit.” If disability is for 14 calendar days or less, no wage replacement is made for the first seven days. Employees that elect to submit payment of the “Wage Replacement Benefit” to the College will be credited back the amount of sick and/or vacation leave used during the first week of disability.

Each time an employee is not at work due to a workers′ compensation injury, the total amount of the employees′ Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) benefits will be reduced by the amount of workers’ compensation leave utilized.

Any medical expenses incurred as a result of such injury at work will be paid for by the insurance company. You should not pay for any such expense from your own funds.

All job-related accidents must be reported immediately to the supervisor and the Human Resources Office. The supervisor should give the injured employee a Medical Identification Form (completed by the supervisor authorizing treatment) and a Medical Release Form. The Medical Release Form should be returned to the Benefits Services Manager when completed by the doctor. The supervisor must complete an Employee′s First Report of Work Injury Form and forward to the Benefits Services Manager within 24 hours. This report must reach the Worker′s Compensation Company no later than 48 hours after the accident occurs. Failure to report an injury or occupational disease may result in a delay or denial of benefits.

Employees who are involved in a work-related accident may be subject to drug and alcohol testing and possible disciplinary action as stated in Employee Discipline. Employees who sustain an injury due to intoxication or illegal drug use may have their workers’ compensation benefits suspended or denied. Any employee who refuses to take a drug test in connection with an injury or accident may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Any employee who has been on leave of absence for any work-related or non-work-related illness or accident for over 180 days, and has not contacted the Human Resources Office to see if a reasonable accommodation (if applicable) can be made in order to return to work, is terminated automatically. This termination is "no fault."

When you return to work after an absence caused by an accident or illness, you may be required to furnish a physician′s statement as to your fitness to perform your usual duties. You may also be required to have a physical examination by a physician designated by the College.

If you have any questions about the contents of this policy, please contact the Benefits Services Manager.

Printed from: