The online version of the College Employee Handbook is currently undergoing revisions. For the latest version of the college handbook, please see the College Employee Handbook PDF (updated November 2022).

Personal Leave of Absence

When an employee has either exhausted or is not eligible for all other forms of leave, whether paid or unpaid, a personal leave of absence without pay may be granted for the following reasons: medical, disability, childcare, educational, personal issues, pregnancy, adoption, and care for a parent or spouse. A doctor’s certification may be requested.

Eligibility. Employees normally must work 20 hours a week or more (regardless of months per year) and have one year of service to be eligible for this benefit.

Benefit. A leave of absence without pay may be granted in up to 6-month increments (but not to exceed one year) at the discretion of the College with the approval of the employee’s supervisor, Dean/Vice President, and the Chief Human Resources Officer. Requests for a Personal Leave of Absence must be made a minimum of one month prior to the beginning of the leave.

Utilizing Benefit. All paid benefit time must be used before an unpaid leave begins. Any outstanding debts owed to the College must be paid before leave is granted. Sick leave and vacation leave will not accrue while an employee is on a leave of absence without pay.

Failure to return to work at the end of a leave of absence will be considered a resignation. Any employee who has been on leave of absence for over 180 days is terminated automatically, unless the leave is for any work related or non-work related disability, the employee remains unable to work due to the disability, and a reasonable accommodation can be made. Any employee who believes they need additional leave in excess of 180 days as a reasonable accommodation should contact the HR office as soon as possible so the College may consider whether it can grant the extension without causing undue hardship, or if another reasonable accommodation is available. Any termination under this policy is “no fault.”

The College, under ordinary circumstances, will keep the employee’s position open for the employee to reassume upon the termination of the leave. However, when the orderly functioning of the College requires replacement, the College may fill the position. In such cases, the College will make every effort to find an equivalent position for the employee elsewhere in the College.

Fringe benefits during an unpaid personal leave of absence may be continued if paid for by the employee. The employee would pay the entire cost (100%) of fringe benefits, unless qualified under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) (refer to the Family and Medical Leave Act policy) in which case employee will pay their employee portion of health benefits.

Requesting Leave of Absence. Employees wishing to request a personal Leave of Absence without pay should submit such a request in writing to Human Resources. The leave request must be dated, signed by the employee, and state the reason(s), circumstances, duration, and location of the employee during leave. The supervisor will submit the request to the Chief Human Resources Officer. The Chief Human Resources Officer will submit their recommendation to the appropriate Dean/Vice President, who will approve or disapprove the leave, and notify the employee through the supervisor. Extensions of an initial leave of absence must be requested in the same manner.

Should employees have any questions concerning the Leave of Absence Without Pay policy, please contact the Chief Human Resources Officer.