Any student found to have committed or to have attempted to commit the following behaviors is subject to disciplinary sanctions. A “student” includes all persons taking courses at Rhodes College, both full-time and part-time, pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies. Persons who are not officially enrolled for a particular term, but have a continuing relationship with Rhodes College. Many of these policies are described in further detail elsewhere in the handbook; this list is intended as notice that violation of the policies is likely to result in sanctions.
1. Acts of dishonesty, including but not limited to the following:
- Lying in official matters.
- Cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty.
- Forgery, alteration, or misuse of any College document, record, or instrument of identification.
- Stealing, attempted or actual theft of property or services of the College, of a member of the College community, or other personal or public property.
2. Interfering with College or College sponsored activities, including but not limited to, studying, teaching, research, college administration, or fire, police, or emergency services.
3. Endangering, threatening, or causing physical harm to any person, or unwanted physical contact or causing reasonable apprehension of such harm. This may include verbal abuse, intimidation, harassment, coercion, and/or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person.
4. Conduct that is directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to (1) fear for her, his, or others’ safety, or (2) to suffer substantial emotional distress.
5. Attempted or actual damage to property of the College or property of a member of the College community or other personal or public property, on or off campus.
6. Hazing, which is an action taken or situation created to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule, or which destroys or removes public or private property, for the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, a group or organization. The express or implied consent of the victim will not be a defense. No organization member shall condone hazing.
7. Failure to comply with directions of College officials, including campus safety officers, in performance of their duties.
8. Unauthorized possession, duplication or use of keys to any College premises or unauthorized entry to or use of College premises.
9. Possession of weapons of any type by students or visitors and/or vehicles controlled by an individual while on College property, including those individuals with valid Tennessee gun carry permits, is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to firearms, B-B guns, pellet guns, bows and arrows, hunting knives, explosives or any other object that could be used as a weapon.
10. Student hosts are responsible for guest behavior, including behavior occurring in their residence hall rooms, behavior at student organization events, and behavior by off-campus guests.
11. Violation of college alcohol or other drug policies.
12. Violation of the standards of the Rhodes Community.
13. Violation of college Sex/Gender Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct Policy.
14. Violation of any college regulation or policy.
15. Violating the terms of any disciplinary sanction imposed in accordance with the Handbook.
17. Violation of any federal, state, or local law