Social Media Policy
As social media has evolved over the years, we have seen both the positive and negative impact such platforms can have. Rhodes College believes that social media can be a tool to promote ideas, build community, share information, and facilitate learning. Rhodes is committed to providing an atmosphere in which students are free to express themselves creatively and stay connected using social networking platforms. However, we know from experience that social media, when used without care, can also have an impact in ways that are contrary to our values and diminish us individually and as a community. Improper use of social media can also pose risk to the College’s confidential and proprietary information, reputation, and brand, as well as jeopardize the College’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
“Social media” as referenced in this policy refers to any website, platform or application that allows users to create and share content or participate in digital social networking. Social media platforms develop and change at a rapid pace, and the policy may be revised from time to time as new platforms are developed and new concerns are identified. The lack of explicit reference to a specific site does not limit the extent of the application of this policy.
Rhodes students seeking to represent Rhodes via social media outlets, for example by running the social media account of a Rhodes student organization, must do the following:
- Observe all obligations, policies and requirements of Rhodes College concerning privacy and confidentiality.
- Conduct themselves at all times in a respectful, professional manner as representatives of the College, and accordingly, adhere to all College standards of conduct and policies contained in the Rhodes College Student Handbook.
- Identify themselves as a student at Rhodes.
- Refrain from using language that is harassing, discriminatory, obscene, abusive, or threatening.
- Respect the intellectual property rights of others.
- Rhodes reserves the right to ask students to take down social media postings that violate the Standards of Conduct or any other Rhodes policy and the failure to do so promptly may result in disciplinary action or withdrawal of recognition for a student organization.
Students may not use their personal social media accounts to speak on behalf of or as a representative of the Rhodes community. Students should not use the official Rhodes logo on a personal social media account.
Rhodes College urges students to be mindful of how their online activity can be detrimental or harmful to others, and to remember that what you post on your personal social media accounts may easily be become public and shared with others. Personal social media accounts should never be used in a way that violates any Rhodes College policy or the student handbook. Students must also comply with all laws, license agreements, and contracts governing network, software, and misconduct in order to protect others’ rights and safety. Rhodes will hold students accountable for social media activity that violates the Rhodes Standards of Conduct. Rhodes reserves the right to ask students to take down social media postings that violate the Standards of Conduct or any other Rhodes policy and the failure to do so promptly may result in disciplinary action.