A downloadable PDF of the handbook is currently being updated.

Student Concerns

Nature of ConcernAddress concern toIf Appealed - Address to
Grade concernsIssuing InstructorDepartment Chair
Financial Aid concerns Financial Aid OfficeDirector of Financial Aid
Academic StandardsStandards & Standing CommitteeProvost
Academic DiscriminationAssociate ProvostProvost 
Educational RecordsRegistrarStandards & Standing Committee
HousingHousing Appeals CommitteeDean of Students via Director of Residence Life 
Honor Code Honor Council via Director of Community StandardsFaculty Appeals Committee via Director of Community Standards
Information Technologyhelp@rhodes.eduChief Information Officer
Standards of Conduct   Community Standards Council   via Director of Community StandardsCSC Appeals Committee via Director of Community Standards
Bias IncidentsBias Incident Reporting System (BERS)See Standard of Conduct Policy
ParkingDirector of Campus SafetyTraffic Appeals Committee
Sexual Misconduct/Title IXSee Title IX and Sexual Misconduct PolicySee Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Policy
All other violations of college policy  Director of Community StandardsDean of Students
Student Organizations IFC for fraternity/sorority; Office of Student Engagement for other student organizationsVice President of Student Life
  • If the concern is not specifically identified above, contact the Office of the Vice President of Student Life. 
  • If a concern is not satisfactorily addressed through the offices and agents above, it is possible to file a formal written complaint. That process is described here.
  • If the resolution of the complaint is unsatisfactory and meets the requirements for an appeal as indicated in the college catalogue or student handbook, the issue should be brought forward to the committee or individual as listed above.
  • Should the institution not be able to resolve the student complaint, the student has the right to contact the federal government or the State of Tennessee and their respective agencies to determine the course of action. Complaints can be filed with the following agencies:
    • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (i.e., State Board of Health, State Board of Education, and so on.) within the Tennessee State Government and shall be reviewed and handled by that licensing board (http://www.tn.gov), and then search for the appropriate division)
    • Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by their Unit (http://www.tn.gov/consumer/).
    • Allegations regarding noncompliance with accreditation standards, policies, and procedures may be made to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. (The Commission's complaint policy, procedure and the Complaint form may be found on their website: https://sacscoc.org/app/uploads/2020/01/ComplaintPolicy-1.pdf.)
  • Title IX (Department of Education Office of Civil Rights). Individuals who wish to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights must do so within 180 days of the incident based on the time limits for adjudication set by that agency. The complaint policy, procedure and complaint form may be found at https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html.